Connecticut Eviction Process & Laws | Free CT Eviction Notices

A Connecticut eviction may begin upon the landlord deciding they would like a tenancy at will to vacate or if the tenant has violated their lease by either late payment of rent or a material violation. The tenant, after being served, shall have three (3) days to cure nonpayment or a noncompliance and thirty (30) days to vacate if they are in a month to month tenancy. If the tenant does not comply then a Summary Guide should be followed by the landlord in order to know how and when to file the eviction proceeding.

NonPayment Laws - 3 days Sec. 47a-23

NonCompliance Laws - 3 days Sec. 47a-11

Month to Month Laws - No Statute

Entry and Detainer Laws - Chapter 833

Types of Notice

Connecticut 3 Day notice to Quit

The Connecticut three (3) day notice to quit, in accordance with Section 47a-23, is a form that’s used by landlords to inform tenants of a termination to the lease/rental agreement. Most forms of tenancies require a three-day notice period (however month-to-month and week-to-week tenancies have different requirements). How to Write Step…

Connecticut Month to Month Notice to Quit

The Connecticut month-to-month Notice to Quit is used by a landlord that wishes to terminate a tenancy (at will) by granting the number of days provided in the lease/rental agreement. In the State of Connecticut, the typical minimum period of notice is three (3) days. The Notice to Quit cannot be…

Process How to Evict a Tenant

Step 1 – The first step in evicting a tenant in Connecticut is to serve them a “Notice to Quit.” The minimum period of notice is three days (used in most forms of tenancy), however month-to-month and week-to-week tenancies have longer notice periods. You can use a pre-drafted form supplied by the local Superior Court, or draft your own. The notice must include the following details on it in order to be considered valid in Court:

  • Full name of tenant
  • Full street address of rental unit (including specific lot/unit number, county name, and any other specific designations)
  • Reason for termination of the rental agreement (e.g. non-payment of rent, lease violation, etc.)

Step 2 – An original notice should be given to the main tenant, with copies provided for each additional tenant. As the landlord, it is important to keep several copies of all documents during the eviction process.

Step 3 – If the tenant fails to vacate the rental property within the stated amount of time, the landlord can begin the eviction lawsuit process in Court. Go to the clerk’s office and bring a copy of the original Notice to Quit, Return of Service, as well as a filled out Summons/Complaint. The Summons must be signed and verified by the clerk. The clerk will select a “return date” for the Summons/Complaint (the date by which the tenant(s) must accept/refute the Complaint).

Note: One (1) original Summons/Complaint and one (1) copy will need to be made for each tenant in the rental unit. 

Step 4 – After the State Marshal has served the tenant(s) with the Summons/Complaint, he/she will bring you a “Return of Service” along with the original Summons/Complaint. The Return of Service, Summons/Complaint, and original Notice to Quit must be filed with the clerk at least four (4) days before the return date.

Note: The filing fee is $175. Cash or check only. When going to the Superior Court clerk’s office, it’s recommended to have a copy of your case docket number or case name/return date.

Step 5 – After the return date has lapsed, the tenant (defendant) has two business days to appear in Court. If no Appearance has been filed by the third (3rd) day after the return date, than the landlord can request a default judgement (Failure to Appear). You must go to the clerk’s office and file a Motion for Default Judgement for Failure to Appear.

Note: The original will be filed with the Court, and a copy must be mailed to the tenant/defendant. Judgement notifications are issued via mail. 

Step 6 – If a Response is filed by the tenant, than you will receive a copy of it in the mail. After receiving the copy of the Response, you must filed a Reply to Special Defense(s) form at the clerk’s office. After filing the Reply, a Court date will be set (notifications will be issued via mail). The Trial may be heard by a judge if no agreement can be made between the landlord and tenant.

Note: Before actually going to Trial and having the case reviewed/decided by a Judge, a “Housing Mediator” will meet with both parties on the day of the Trial and attempt to have a settlement agreed upon. 

Step 7 – If the Judge rules in your favor (known as a “Judgement for Immediate Possession”), the tenant/defendant will have a five-day period before they must vacate the rental property. If the tenant fails to vacate the property within the five-day period, you must file a Summary Process Execution at the clerk’s office. After the clerk has approved and signed the Execution, it must be given to a State Marshal in order to be served to the tenant.

Step 8 – After being served the Execution, the tenant will have no more than 24 hours to vacate themselves and their property/possessions from the rental unit. If they have not vacated the property within the 24-hour period, they will be physically removed by the State Marshal.

Note: If the tenant does not move their possessions out from the rental unit, the State Marshal will remove and store them at the tenant’s expense.