Alabama Eviction Process & Laws | Free AL Eviction Notices

The Alabama eviction process begins with a landlord giving a tenant the right to cure their issue by giving them notice within the respective laws they are allowed by the State of Alabama (Sections 35-9A-421 to 35-9A-427). After the notice period the tenant should have either come back into compliance (by payment of rent or fixing the violation) or have to move-out of the property. If they choose to do neither, the landlord is allowed to proceed with legal eviction action by filing a Complaint and paying the initial filing fee of $256 with a Judicial Court Location.

Non-Payment Laws - Section 35-9A-421 - 7 Days' Notice

Month to Month Laws - Section 35-9A-441 - 30 Days' Notice

Forcible Entry and Detainer Laws - Section 6-6-310 to 6-6-353

Types of Notice

Adobe PDF & Microsoft Word (.docx)

The Alabama fourteen (14) day notice to quit, in accordance with § 35-9A-422, is a form that may only be used when a tenant is in non-compliance with their lease agreement. If it is a material breach of the residence, and the tenant does not comply within seven (7) days, the landlord…

Adobe PDF | Microsoft Word (.doc)

The Alabama seven (7) day notice to quit can be issued, according to § 35-9A-421, the day after payment is due as stated in the lease agreement between the landlord and tenant. The notice gives the tenant the seven (7) time period to either pay all that is owed to the…

Adobe PDF | Microsoft Word (.doc)

The Alabama thirty (30) day notice to quit is a document that a landlord gives to their tenant to notify them that they will need to leave the property by the end of the period. According to Section 35-9A-441 of the Alabama Statutes, in a month to month tenancy (tenancy at will)…

Process How to Evict a Tenant

A landlord in Alabama may begin the eviction process with the Judicial Circuit Court only after exercising their efforts through a notice with the specified time period.

Step 1 – The landlord should complete the Complaint and Summons (Form C-59) and apply to the Judicial Court in their county along with the $256 filing fee (Call to make sure it is the correct fee).

Step 2 – After making the initial filing, the landlord will be required to inform the tenant that a case has been filed against them by serving them the Answer (Form PS-01) and Statement of Complaint (Form SM-1). The tenant shall have up to seven (7) days to respond.

After the seven (7) day period, or before, a hearing will be scheduled.

Step 3 – After the hearing, and if the Judge rules in the favor of the landlord, the Writ of Restitution (Form C-59A) will be submitted and the landlord may give to the Sheriff’s Office. Depending on the County the tenant will either have a certain amount of days to leave the premises or be forced to leave immediately. If the tenant opts to remain on the premises the Sheriff may forcibly remove the tenant and grant access to the landlord.