Alaska Eviction Process & Laws | Free AK Eviction Notices

An Alaska eviction, also known as an Forcible Entry and Detainer (F.E.D.), may be sent to a tenant by a landlord for either not paying rent on time, seven (7) Day Notice, or by a non-compliance issue that the tenant must cure within ten days, ten (10) day notice. If rent is not paid or the issue is not cured in either of the notices the tenant will have to move-out within the time-frame suggested or face an F.E.D lawsuit that may be filed against them in according to AS 09.45.090.

Non-Payment of Rent Laws - AS 09.45.090 - 7 Days' Notice

Month to Month Laws - AS 34.03.290 - 30 Days' Notice

Forcible Entry and Detainer Laws - Sections 09.45.060. to 09.45.160 also use the Eviction Booklet (CIV-720)

Types of Notice

Adobe PDF | Microsoft Word (.doc)

The Alaska five (5) day notice to quit is a document that is given to a tenant if they are performing illegal activity on the property or have been put on notice of a previous non-compliance in the last six (6) months (per Statute 09.45.090). The notice states that the tenant…

Adobe PDF | Microsoft Word

The Alaska seven (7) day notice to quit, also known as Form CIV-725, is sent to a tenant for the non-payment of rent (pursuant to AS 09.45.090). Rent is considered late the day after it is due according to the lease agreement signed or any verbal arrangements made by lessor and lessee. Once…

Adobe PDF | Microsoft Word

The Alaska ten (10) day notice to quit is provided by a landlord who believes that a tenant has violated a portion of their lease that does not involve the monthly rental payment. This may be for any breaking of the arrangement such as damage to the premises, unkept property,…

Adobe PDF | Microsoft Word (.doc)

The Alaska termination of a month-to-month lease is a form given to a Tenant by a Landlord to end a tenancy at will rental arrangement. According to 34.03.290(b) the notice must be given to the Tenant before the next periodic payment (30 days). This means that if the next payment…

Process How to Evict a Tenant

Step 1 – Decide what type of notice best matches your eviction:

5-Day Notice to Quit – For illegal activity and/or if the tenant has given a ten (10) day notice to quit in the last six (6) months.
7-Day Notice to Quit – For the non-payment of rent.
10-Day Notice to Quit – For any non-compliance of building or code rules and/or any violation of the lease agreement.

Step 2 – Fill-in the document and send to the tenant either with a Certified Letter or any other route to get the certificate of service.

At this point the tenant has the decision to move out and/or (for the 7 & 10 day notices) the right to cure the issue by either paying all back-rent to the landlord or finding a solution to the non-compliance. If the tenant cures the issue then the lease remains binding to both parties. If the tenant does not cure the issue and refuses to move-out then a case must be filed starting with Step 3.

Step 3 – To file an F.E.D., or “Forcible Entry and Detainer”, the landlord must first file the Case DescriptionComplaint, Judgement for Possession, & the Summons (Anchorage, Fairbanks, & All Other Locations) with a copy of the Notice to Quit attached. After filing you will be made aware of the court date.

File with the Judicial District in Their Area and there will be a filing fee of $125.

Step 4 – After filing the Complaint you will be required to serve the Defendant. This can be done by filling-in the Service Instructions Form and hiring a process server from the Alaskan List of Process Servers (See Image Below).


After the Defendant is served the Proof of Service will be returned to the court by the hired process server.

Step 5 – The landlord will have to wait up to twenty (20) days as the tenant must fill-out an Answer to the case filed against them.

Step 6 – Go to the court hearing and if the Judge rules in favor of the Plaintiff (landlord) then the Defendant will be required to leave the property. If the Plaintiff feels as though the Defendant will not vacate the premises immediately a Writ of Assistance should be asked for to the Judge by the Plaintiff.